Amanda Taylor

News and views about Cambridge and Cambridgeshire politics, especially Queen Edith's Learn more

Cambridge City Food Bank in need of your help

by admin on 16 September, 2012

Cambridge City Foodbank is a local charity run by people from the city churches. It helps people in crisis by providing 3-day emergency boxes of food and other essentials while they are waiting for other care agencies to start work. Today, a representative visited St John’s Church to speak on how they are doing – and to request help.

The charity collects food – from supermarkets such as Sainsbury’s and Waitrose, as well as from churches and schools and takes it to Pickfords on Clifton Road. There, it is boxed up to provide food boxes for three days. Those in need apply via the Citizens Advice Bureau, health visitor or other care agency. Food boxes are given out four times a week, from Cambridge Community Church, St Paul’s Church and Our Lady and the English Martyrs.

There is a box at St John’s Church on Hills Road. Every Sunday, whether you’re a member of the church or not, you can leave food there just before 10am or 6pm. St John’s is on Hills Road, opposite Homerton College and next to the EF Language School, near the Cavendish Avenue junction.

The Food Bank is always in need of people to collect at the supermarkets – and also for people to distribute the boxes. They are also looking for more warehouse space – if you know of any empty warehouses that could be lent by their owners for the Food Bank, get in touch with them: [email protected].

Please help local people in crisis by buying something from the list below. The items most needed are in red.

  • Milk (UHT or powdered)
  • Sugar (5oog and 1 kg)
  • Fruit juice (long life cartons)
  • Pasta sauce
  • Sponge pudding in tins
  • Tinned tomatoes
  • Cereal
  • Tinned rice pudding
  • Tea bags
  • Instant coffee
  • Instant mashed potato
  • Tinned meat
  • Tinned fish
  • Tinned fruit
  • Tinned vegetables
  • Jam
  • Biscuits
  • Snack bars

2 Responses

  1. Mo Webb says:

    Dear Amanda I work for the Addaction Alcohol Servce on Mill Road Cambridge and would like to know if I could have the vouchers for the Food Bank to get food for some of our clients. How do I go about getting set up to do this? Thank you for your time.
    Mo Webb Addaction Alcohol Project Worker
    01223 723069 ext 3068

  2. Angie Campbell says:

    Dear Mo,
    thank you for your email. We already have Addaction as a distributor with Mark Buitenbach and Ruth Hubbard as signatories. We also issueds some vouchers in October. Any problems, please get back to us.
    Thank you for your support


Leave a Reply

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>