The local police have just sent out the following eCops alert:
We have received 17 reports of cycles being stolen in Cambridge over the last 24 hours at the following locations:-
North –Arbury Court
South – 2 x Speedwell Close, Wulfstan Way, George IV Street, Lucerne Close, Hills Road and Gresham Road
East – Argyle Street, Beehive Centre and Clifton Way
West – Storeys Way, Cockcroft Place and Grange Road
City – Park Terrace, Queens Lane and Burleigh Street
Eight of the thefts occurred overnight, the other nine were daytime offences. Most of the cycles were locked to cycle racks.
• Park your bike where everyone can see it – other people will also see if someone is trying to steal it
• Don’t leave your bike in the same place every day
• Lock ‘tight’ so that your bike is hard to move around when parked
• Lock both wheels and the frame to a bike stand or other immoveable object and fill the lock with as much of the bike as possible, or a thief may steal the bike and leave the wheels behind. Also, make sure the post can’t be cut through or the bike lifted off it
• Locks can be picked, so face the lock to the ground (but not resting on it) so it can’t easily be turned upwards for picking
• Take with you any items that can be removed without tools such as wheels, lights, pump, saddle etc
You can security mark and register your bike at www.bikeregister.com and www.immobilise.com . It’s also a good idea to place a sticker on your bike to advertise the fact that it is traceable.
For more information on cycle security please visit www.camb-police.co.uk .
If you see something suspicious please call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
Community Safety Officer – Cambridge City