Amanda Taylor

News and views about Cambridge and Cambridgeshire politics, especially Queen Edith's Learn more

Amanda’s FAQ’s

Q: How do I get graffiti removed?

A:The City Council has a section that works seven days a week to remove graffiti from public areas and private property, or ring Cambridge 457000.

Q: The streetlight outside my house isn’t working. What do I do?

A: Streetlights on the public highway are managed by Cambridgeshire County Council. Contact them by phoning 0800 253529 or email [email protected], or report it on line on the County’s website.

Q: How do I register to vote?

A: Elections are managed by Cambridge City Council. Contact them by phoning 01223 457048 or emailing [email protected]. Or you can fill in a form on line on the City Council’s website.

Q: I am away for the election. Can I still vote?

A: Yes, you can either vote by post or proxy. See the Council’s elections page for more detail.

Q: Can you change the time of my bus/ alter the route/ deal with my complaint?

A: Bus services were deregulated when Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister, meaning that local authorities do not have direct control of them. Comments need to be addressed to the bus operator concerned: Stagecoach, Whippet or Myalls (01763 243225) operate in the Cambridge area. If you have a complaint, you can contact the Traffic Commissioner at City House, Hills Road, Cambridge. If you are not satisfied with the response, do let me know.

Q: There’s an abandoned car at the end of my street. How do we get rid of it?

A: First, try to establish whether it really is abandoned rather than just parked. Clues to an abandoned vehicle are things like wires hanging out, no tax disk or an out-of-date one, flat tyres. If it’s been in the same spot for two weeks or more, report it to the City Council. Abandoning a vehicle is a criminal offence and the City Council has a duty to investigate. Please give as much detail as you can about the car, eg make, model, colour, registration and pass this on to the Council along with the location. You can phone 01223 457000 or email [email protected].

Q|: My neighbour’s bonfire is bothering me. What can I do?

A: There is no specific law banning garden bonfires or the times you can light them. The Council can only take action if the bonfire is causing a statutory nuisance. According to the Environmental Protection Act of 1990 this would be:

smoke, fumes or gases emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance’

Contact the City Council by ringing 457890 or emailing [email protected] if the bonfires are:

  • frequent
  • emitting black smoke
  • burning rubber, plastic, foam or paint

Contact the police if the smoke is drifting across the road so as to endanger traffic, as the bonfire burner could face a fine under the Highways Act of 1980.

Q: What can I do about vehicles blocking my drive?

A: This cancause great inconvenience and annoyance, especially if it stops you getting your own car out when you need to go somewhere. The police are willing to attend in such cases, so contact the Cambridge City South Neighbourhood Policing Team on 0345 456 456 4.

Another option is to have white lines (H-markings) painted across your drive. They are called ‘markings’ because they are just that – they mark the area where people must not park.

They are installed by the Cambridgeshire County Council Highways Team. Here is information on how to apply for H-markings.Access_protection_marking_application_form